What to wear kayaking or canoeing ?
July 22, 2022
Your adventure can quickly became uncomfortable if you have not prepared by wearing the proper clothing.
1) Know the weather forecast. Check the forecast and know what type of day to plan for. While a thermal shirt and windbreaker might be perfect for a cool, breezy day, it will be very uncomfortable on a hot summer afternoon. Find out ahead of time if you are going to need wind or chill protection for your day. If it is looking like a wet or rainy day, consider wearing a wetsuit. – we can supply this here at the centre.
2) Don’t wear cotton. Cotton absorbs water and stays wet, making for a cold and uncomfortable day on the water. Even if you never flip into the water, you will get wet from splash, spray and drips. Instead of cotton, wear synthetic materials such as polyester, fleece or Gore-Tex. This means you shouldn’t show up for your trip in jeans and a cotton T-shirt, unless you like being cold and wet.
3) Dress in layers. Your outer layer should help you stay dry. A good paddle jacket is a water resistant, breathable layer that should fit snuggly and help keep you dry. We will provide you with a light weight paddle jacket to use for the day. Under your paddle jacket, you should have a few synthetic layers so you can easily peel out of clothing if the weather gets warm.
4) Wear shoes that will stay on your feet. A water bootie or water shoe is the ideal choice. They will stay on your feet, keep out the rocks, and your feet will stay warm. Water sandals with proper straps are also a good option, though you might have chilly feet if the weather is cool. Flip flops are not recommended, as they tend to easily come off your feet in the water and the soles are often slippery.
5) Protect your head! Wear a hat or beanie to protect your head from sun or cold, but don’t forget to protect your brain with a proper helmet if you are in a rocky environment. Wear sunscreen every day even if the sun isn’t shining !
6) Pack a change of clothes. At the end of your trip, chances are you are going to be wet. So pack a towel to dry yourself off and a comfortable change of clothes for your journey home.
7) Bring water for your kayaking trip. If your only out for 1 hour or 6hrs always bring a bottle of refreshing water to along the journey, and a snack bar or sweets to keep you re energize if needed.
Enjoy the waterways, be respectful of the wildlife remember this is their home and Leave No Trace. what every you bring with you, please bring home with you.